Monday, July 17, 2017

The Missing Toddler

I remember the panic rising at the back of my mind as visions of the worst possible outcomes of losing a toddler at Niagra Falls flashed before my eyes. Frantically we searched for My missing two-year old sister in the crowds of tourists.

How far could she have wandered off? Was she hurt?  Had she been kidnapped? I felt myself coming apart at the seams as these questions ran through my mind. She was and still is my world, my whole heart and the best thing that ever happened to me.

I felt dizzy with relief when I saw her grubby little face with tears streaming down it. In the distance on a wooden bench sat a shrivelled up old woman holding the hand of the love of my life, trying to calm her down.

I'm sure my parents were beyond happy to have found their youngest child unharmed. For me, it was more, it was as if someone had brought me back to life and I could breathe again.

The memory of that day has rattled me in ways I still can't explain. Had she not been found, I would not have survived the loss but I suppose life is what it is and everything happens for a reason. We found her because without her I'd have no reason to live.

2 comments:

  1. quite emotional

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually know what we have when we lose them for a while and find them after a struggle, don't we?

    Keep writing.

    Cheers,
    CRD

    P.S. Do drop by mine.

    I blog at SCRIPTED IN SANITY

    ReplyDelete